Looking for the right dog food can be exhausting. Your dog deserves only the best of the best, but how do you know that what you have found is really all that? There can be countless claims on the packaging trying to sell you on how amazing the dog food is, even going as far as saying it’s ‘premium.’ But nowadays, we are told a lot of things are premium: premium clothes, premium cleaning solutions—even premium pizza! So what really makes premium dog food premium?
Premium dog food is called premium because it has better ingredients and is made better than the average dog food. That means that the ingredients are the most beneficial ones for your dog. In order to be the most beneficial, they must be natural. There shouldn’t be any synthetics or sketchy ingredients anywhere in the ingredient list.
Having a higher quality protein source is something premium dog foods have that others don’t. It’s important that the main protein in the dog food isn’t just wheat, corn, or soy; that it’s actual meat. A higher quality protein can be seen when the meat in a dog food is listed as USDA. When meat is listed as USDA, it means that it is organic and has more thorough and meticulous standards than most others. In order for something to be labeled as USDA, it must be made in a facility that is USDA monitored and inspected. So when you see the meat labeled as that, you know that it’s safe and good for your dog. It’s not filled with anything you wouldn’t want to eat yourself.
A healthy dose of vitamins and antioxidants are also included in premium dog foods. Here are some nutritious fruits and vegetable found in premium dog food:
- Kale- Kale is great for dogs because it can help your dog’s immune system, vision, and bone health.
- Apples- Apples are a great source of fiber for your dog and include many beneficial vitamins like A and C.
- Broccoli- Improving heart health, battling diseases, and improving bone density, broccoli is a great ingredient to see in premium dog foods.
- Blueberries- Another great source of fiber, and blueberries are also filled with antioxidants.
- Spinach- Spinach not only helps with cardiovascular issues, it also gives energy to your little pup and boosts their immune system.
- Strawberries- Strawberries are full of nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and fiber, as well as many different vitamins.
- Beets- While aiding in digestion and supporting the immune system of your dog, beets also help keep their coat soft and shiny.
- Carrots- Carrots are not only good for your dog’s overall health, but can also prevent eye infections.
- Cranberries- Not only do cranberries help with dental hygiene by killing off harmful bacteria, they also help with preventing urinary tract infections.
Those are just a few of the many beneficial fruits and veggies that should be found in the ingredient list of premium dog foods. Seeing natural ingredients like those are a wonderful sight to see considering that the overall health of your dog will be better with all of those clean ingredients. They also help your dog digest their food better and easier, so they get more out of what they’re eating. Speaking of more, another perk of premium dog food is that the amount of nutritional value that you’re getting per piece of food is higher. That means that you don’t have to feed your dog as much as you would with other foods and they’ll be getting the same, if not better, nutrition.
Feeding your dog something that is nutritional and well-balanced is something all dog owners strive for. Making sure that you’re getting what you’re sold is important. Seeing natural ingredients, high quality protein, and a good amount of fruits and vegetables is a great way to make sure that your premium dog food is as premium as your pup.