It is 25 years since I last had a dog, and now I have the time to devote to find the puppy of my dreams.
I am trying to approach puppy ownership in a responsible manner and have begun to read articles about what to feed my dog, and it is surprising that so many foods can be dangerous to them.
Dogs have a different metabolism from humans, and some of the foods we eat can be fatal to dogs. I have found more than five foods that dogs should never eat and will list them now.
Avocado contains a toxin called persin, and this is poisonous to dogs. They cause the dog to accumulate fluid around the lungs leading to breathing difficulties. and other organs show similar results. Keep the dog away from all things avocado.
Caffeine can speed up the dog’s heart rate. Caffeine can cause cardiac arrhythmia and ultimately death. Keep your dog right away from caffeine,
There is also caffeine in chocolate, and a dog shouldn’t eat any chocolate, It also contains a chemical called theobromine which is also difficult for the dog to metabolize. It will give the dog diarrhea and stomach pains.
A dog should never consume alcoholic beverages, they can’t even tolerate a minimal amount. Alcohol is also found in cleaning products and perfumes, and if a dog drinks any of these things he can suffer seizures and death.
Yeast dough, raw is dangerous for dogs and if they eat it, it can cause severe bloating so keep the dog away from yeast dough.
These three vegetables that we use to flavor our cooking are dangerous to dogs. They damage the dog’s red blood cells and cause anemia, this is serious and in severe cases, the dog may require a blood transfusion.
Macadamia contains an unknown toxin that harms dogs causing weakness and tremors. Because of the high-fat content of the nut, it could actually cause pancreatitis in the dog, so keep them away from the nut trees, just in case they decide to try some.
The trouble with some dogs, especially Labradors is, they will eat almost anything, so we do have to keep them out of harm’s way.
Xylitol needs to be mentioned as many people give their dog candy when they have one, and artificial sweeteners contain Xylitol.
Xylitol is used in some candies, and should never be given to dogs. It interferes with a dog’s blood sugar causing a drop and can cause liver failure and death to the dog.
When you first bring your puppy home, it is a good idea to take him to some training classes. Then he can learn not to pick up stuff and eat it without being told to. This way he won’t eat anything dangerous and will stay safe, this protects him and prevents you from being worried all the time.
Keeping dogs safe, is our responsibility, and we want them to have a long and fruitful life. So the next time you see cute pomeranians or bernedoodle puppies for sale, remember that it is your and my responsibility to keep them happy and healthy.