Your dog is not just your best friend, but also your responsibility . Part of being a responsible dog owner is making sure that your dog does not come into contact with any poisonous substances. Unfortunately, there are household items that are poisonous to your dog and can be deadly if ingested. It is important to be aware of these items so that you can keep your dog safe.
So, here are some things in your house that are poisonous to your dog.
If you have a green thumb and love to experiment with all sorts of plants, then it’s a good idea to hire a custom construction company to build you a greenhouse away from the main house that your dog can’t access.
Many common plants are poisonous to dogs if ingested.
Some of these include:
- Azaleas are poisonous to dogs because they contain grayanotoxin. This toxin can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, weakness, and collapse.
- Chrysanthemums contain pyrethrins which are insecticides that can be toxic to dogs if ingested in large quantities.
- Cyclamen contains saponins which are toxic to dogs if ingested. Symptoms of cyclamen poisoning include vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Holly berries are poisonous to dogs because they contain saponins which can cause drooling and weakness.
- Sago palms are poisonous to dogs because they contain cycasin which is a carcinogen. Sago palm poisoning can cause diarrhoea, seizures, and liver failure.
- Tulips are poisonous to dogs because they contain tuliposide which can cause vomiting, weakness, and difficulty with breathing.
People food isn’t always good for your dog. While certain food like white rice and carrot are fine for dogs, there are other common foods that can also pose a danger.
Onions, for example, can cause anemia in dogs. Garlic is another food that can similarly result in anaemia when ingested in large quantities. Macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, weakness, and paralysis in dogs.
Chocolate is also dangerous to dogs. Dark chocolate is the most harmful, but even milk chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.
So, to be on the safe side, only feed your dog quality dog food and avoid giving them people food altogether.
Certain Household Cleaning Products
A clean house is a necessity, but there are many common cleaning items that can be poisonous to dogs.
Toilet bowl cleaner, for example, can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. Products with ammonia in them can cause respiratory damage. And bleach can cause irritation to their skin and eyes, and if ingested, can lead to kidney damage, and a corroded gastrointestinal tract.
So, be sure to keep all cleaning products out of reach of your dog. A good place is on high shelves or in cabinets that your dog can’t access.
Dogs are part of the family, so it’s important to keep them safe. By being aware of the things in your house that can be poisonous to your dog, you can help keep them healthy and happy.
Leave a Reply